KSA Descriptor Structure
It explains learning pathway, document ID code, version, date and an overview of recommended training and assessment delivery mechanisms, aim to provide an expectation on individual job role.
Knowledge element breaks down competency area into required knowledge at sufficient granularity that it can be assessed. Training providers ensure knowledge element is covered sufficiently in training; exam questions authors use this to assess elements effectively. Both utilize the Indicator to clarify scope.
Skill element breaks down competency area into required skills at sufficient granularity that it can be assessed. Training providers ensure skills element is covered sufficiently in training; exam questions authors use this to develop questions that assess the practical aspects of each element effectively. Both utilize the Indicator to clarify scope.
In assessment methods , the letter code is provided in the legend shown. Appropriate learning ,assessment techniques and educational best practices are incorporated to develop assessments. This provides a legend to explain the different possible assessment methods for the Knowledge & Skill elements.
Indicator clarifies knowledge element scope to ensure training organisations and examiners develop content and assessments according to the topic.
Weightage indicates coverage for overall course/examination. (e.g. 5% indicates, in a 40-hour course, 2 hours should be spent on Knowledge element)
Each attitude element indicates behaviours expected after the training. Training providers ensures attitude element is covered sufficiently in training; it is not applicable for exam questions authors as the attitudes are not assessed separately but blended into the development of knowledge and skills.
Each Task element indicates Knowledge and Skills elements required in order to perform Task
Application of KSA for Training Organizations
In course development
- Course developer must ensure that Knowledge element is covered in development of the training materials.
- Course developer must ensure that Skills element is covered in practical exercises.
- Indicators are used to clarify the scope of coverage.
- Correct weightage is achieved for each element.
- There is a strategy to develop and reinforce the Attitude elements throughout the training.
Upon submission of course materials to the evaluation panel, training organisation must adhere to the evaluation requirements. This will include marking up all training materials to validate all KSA elements covered, for example:
- Provision of highlighted slides, workbook, notes, etc to indicate each of the Knowledge & Skills elements are addressed;
- Provision of a schedule, to indicate coverage of each element at the correct weightage
- Provision of a description of training philosophy & mechanisms to develop Attitude elements through the Knowledge & Skills elements
Application of KSA for Question Developer
In examination question bank development
- Question developer must ensure that each element is covered with the proper indicator and uses the defined assessment method.
- Question developer must ensure correct weightage is achieved for each element.
- Question developer must ensure appropriate assessment technique is used to assess each Knowledge & Skill element.
Download KSA Mapping Guideline »